BEING A SMART SHOPPER
Quality Is Important
Price is not the only thing to compare when shopping. You should also think about how well an item is made (quality), how long it will last (durability), and ease of care. Read the facts below. They discuss three pairs of jeans in a store. The jeans look about the same, but their prices are different.
Jeans # 1:. Jeans #2: Jeans #3:
All cotton Cotton and Nylon. All cotton .
Preshrunk. Not preshrunk. Preshrunk.
Double-sewn seams Single sewn seams. Double sewn seams
and pockets. and pockets. and pockets.
Thick, strong cloth. Thin material. Thick, strong cloth.
Would wash well. Would need ironing. Would wash well.
Strong, heavy zipper. Flimsy zipper. Strong, heavy zipper.
Popular brand name. Unknown brand. A store brand.
Price: $30. Price: $15. Price: $20.
1. Write the number or numbers of the jeans having each quality below.
_______ should not shrink
_______ should wash well
_______made of strong material
_______ has double sewn seams and pockets
_______ has a good strong zipper
2. Which two pairs of jeans are of good quality? ______________________
3. Which pair of jeans is of poorer quality? _________________
4. Durable means able to hold up well and last a long time. Which pairs of jeans are durable?
5. Which pairs of jeans are easy to take care of? ______________
6. What is the difference between jeans #1 and jeans #3?
7. Is it worth it to you to pay more for a certain brand name? Why or why not?
8. Jeans #2 cost less than the other two pairs. Why are they still not a good buy , especially for someone who wears jeans a lot?
1986 J. Weston Walch, Publisher Steps to Independent Living
COMPARISON SHOPPING AT THE MALL
Imagine you have $150.00 to spend on new clothes and shoes. In the spaces below, fill in the information for each item you would buy.
WASH OR DRY CLEAN
CHOOSING AND CARING FOR CLOTHING
Judging Quality in Clothes
Jean bought a new blouse that was on sale for $12.00. The first time she washed it, two seams split and a button fell off.
Make sure this doesn’t happen to you. Learn how to choose quality clothes. Here are a few things to look for:
Directions: Complete each sentence using the information on the previous page
1. Seams should lie flat and be at least ____________________.
2. At the seams, plaids should ________________________.
3. ___________________ should work smoothly and lie flat.
4. Buttonholes should be neat and without loose __________________.
5. Unless they are preshrunk, clothes of 100% cotton will _______________.
6. On the outside of the clothing, the hem should not __________________.
7. Check what the clothing is made of by reading the __________________.
8. If an item is 100% unshrunk cotton, you may need a ________________